Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Explanation: Writing for the Orillia Packet in Fall 2006

Since starting my own government relations company - Solstice Public Affairs - this April I have had the opportunity to really focus on what I want to do.

By far, one of the professional actitivies I enjoy most is writing.

When that is combined with the fact that I love politics, it seems like writing about politics is a natural combination.

With that in mind, I approached Mark Bisset, the managing editor of the Orillia Packet and Times. Orillia is my home town. And I worked with Mark when I was a staff reporter for the Packet back in the late eighties.

Mark agreed to let me write a series of articles on the upcoming Federal Liberal Leadership convention. The assignment is to attend the convention and the various Federal Liberal nomination meetings prior to the convention, and report on them from an Orillian perspective.

For me this is a great opportunity to rework my skills as a reporter. Instead of just blogging, my work will also be read by potentially thousands of people - and I think having a real audience and writing for a published publication really makes a difference.

And as a writer, having an editor makes a big difference.

And as a political junkie, I think this Federal Liberal Convention is one of the most facinating political events of the year. And to be there with press credentials is a great opportunity.

I will be posting all the Packet articles in this blog as they are published.

-SK